STANDING COMMITTEES (2015-16): Chair of the Senate Higher Education Committee; Member of the Health Care, Ways & Means, and Rules Committees; Member of the Veterans and Military Affairs Joint Committee.
EDUCATION: Sen. Bailey holds a B.S. degree in psychology from the State University of New York. She is also a nationally recognized Certified Marketing Executive and Certified Hotel Administrator.
PROFESSIONAL INFORMATION: Sen. Bailey runs her own management consulting and training firm. She is a member of both the National Speakers Association and the Northwest Speakers Association. A longtime professional in the hotel and hospitality industry, Bailey has held the position of hotel general manager and worked in leadership positions for the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association on regional, national and international levels.
PUBLIC SERVICE: Prior to her work in the Legislature, Sen. Bailey served as a member on the Oak Harbor Comprehensive Planning Task Force, Island County 2 Percent Lodging Tax Advisory Committee and the Island County Joint Committee on Tourism.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Board Member: Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce Executive Committee Director: National Board of the Navy League of the United States Member: Legislative Affairs Committee of the Navy League of the United States Former President: Oak Harbor Area Council, Navy League of the United States Member: Education Advisory Board, Norfolk State University Member: Community Advisory Group, Higher Education Consortium with the Washington State Department of Education Member: Waterfront Improvement Network, Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce Former Member: Washington Tourism Commission Former Member: Lieutenant Governor’s Legislative Committee on Economic Development and International Relations
- Outstanding Service to Veterans Award, Governor’s Veterans Affairs Advisory Committee and Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs – 2012
- Guardian of Small Business, National Federation of Independent Business – 2012-2011, 2011-2012
- The Cornerstone Award, Association of Washington Business – 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011
- Washington State Residential Care Council, Legislator of the Year Award – 2011
- Legislator of the Year, Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs – 2009
- LEOFF 1 Coalition, Appreciation Award for support of Washington State’s Law Enforcement and Fire Fighter’s Pension Plan – 2009
- Joint Government Affairs Committee of the Everett Area, South Snohomish County and Monroe Chambers of Commerce, Business Champion – 2008
- Washington Economic Development Association, L.E.A.D.E.R. Award – 2007
- Hospitality Hero Award, Washington State Hotel and Lodging Association – 2007
- Legislative Excellence Award, Washington State School Retirees’ Association – 2006
- Outstanding Legislator of the Year, National Federation of Independent Business – 2004
- Meritorious Public Service Award from Commander, Navy Region Northwest – 2002
- Meritorious Public Service Award from Commander in Chief,U.S. Atlantic Fleet – 1996
- Who’s Who in American Executives – 1989, 1990
- Eastern Virginia’s Business Woman of the Year Award – 1990
PERSONAL: Bailey is retiring at the end of September 2019 to spend more time with her family. She lives in Oak Harbor with her husband, Butch Bailey (Captain, USN, Ret.), who taught NJROTC in the Burlington-Edison School System. They are proud parents of four children. Their eldest son is an aeronautical engineer and former naval aviator; another son is a federal judge. They have twin daughters; one is the director of graduate education at Eastern Virginia Medical School and the other is a respiratory therapist who helps treat emergency-room trauma cases. Bailey and her husband have nine grandchildren.